pretty, pretty STAR. it's me and you in all I choose...

Friday, June 16, 2006

What the. So Random.

On Tuesday I was feeling bored so I went down to 4th avenue to pass some time. 4th avenue is a great street to be if you are bored because there are so many young people there. There are many different restaurants there, as well as all kinds of shops, from citrus brand boutiques and antique stores to frisbee retailers to comic book shops. 4th avenue is fairly close to the beach and there is just this undeniable feeling of youthfulness and vibrancy to the strip.

I wouldn't exactly call myself a comic book aficionado but a good friend of mine who is one has been gradually exposing me to the art form. I left the Comic Book Shop with a copy of John Wagner & Vince Locke's "A History of Violence", and as I crossed the street I couldn't help but notice a sign that filled me with curiousity. "FREE ECCW Pro Wrestling Tonight. 5:00PM" And next to this instriguing sign, another: "EXTRAS: Line up at 4:50PM" I did the only thing any self-respecting citizen with nothing planned and no one to do it with would do. I got in line.





In short, I became an extra in a mockumentary about Pro Wrestling (see http://www.kayfabeentertainment.com/). To my relief my involvement did not include any wrestling of my own but I did get to be a spectator in the first row. My responsibilities included cheering for the good guys, booing the bad guys, and looking confused at the obviously stupid characters (i.e. Robota, a short guy in a silver jump suit and mask that wrestles like a robot; Tomahawk Jacques, a White Francophone Canadian who is dressed up as an indian and taunts the audience with an incomprehensible french accent) As if all this was not bizarre enough, the wrestling match took place inside a church, and so one of the actors was a priest who disapprovingly paced up and down the back aisles. I've never watched live wrestling and I must say the experience was very entertaining. Would I do it again? Probably not. But I'm glad I did it. How many times in your life do you get to watch "Rocket Randy Tyler" take on "Tomahawk Jacques" in a Royal Rumble for the heavy weight title inside a Catholic sanctuary. Probably never.





2 Comments:

Blogger ghislaine said...

oh my goodness, this is the most hilarious thing ever! i can tell that this is from that russian community center on arbutus and 4th. this is such a jon thing to do (to be an extra in a random movie). i hope you won't be making me go see it in the movie theatre. i still haven't forgotten about your bad movie recommendations! :P

10:39 PM

 
Blogger Jon said...

hahaha...

Were you referring to 'Silent Hill'? Or "Dark water"?

12:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home