pretty, pretty STAR. it's me and you in all I choose...

Friday, June 16, 2006

Great Expectations...




I've been admitted to do postgraduate work at Edinburgh University starting fall 2006. This is beyond my wildest dreams. Edinburgh has always been among my top two choices (Cambridge, being the other) for postgraduate studies. It has always been my desire to study under Prof. Larry Hurtado-- he is an expert in the field of NT, a prolific writer, an authority in my area of interest, and has a high view of Christology. When the university offered me a place, they also assigned Hurtado as my primary supervisor! It is hard for me to contain my excitement. Career/academic aspirations aside, I am thrilled at the prospect of a change in scenery, as well as the opportunity to live and travel in Europe!

Following Jesus' leading one small step at a time has been a gruelling experience... It's hard to keep your head up when you can only see a few steps at a time. In times of difficulty it is also easy to question if one's calling is even actually from God. Even at this stage I can only see ahead a few steps further but I have been shown so much grace and assurance that I would be a complete fool to stop following now. Lead on. Lead on.

10 Comments:

Blogger jana* said...

"Blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence."
Jeremiah 17:7
this is my prayer for you, that you would keep your eyes on God's promise and be filled with such confidence to fulfill everything that is set before you.

and you will LOVE edinburgh!! the fringe festival in august is not to be missed :) of course, it's nothing like live wrestling documetaries....

8:05 AM

 
Blogger janepaddy said...

hip hip my big brother is going to edinburgh!! and he has met rocket randy tyler's five-year-old kid

10:49 AM

 
Blogger JOSH-WA! said...

WOW WOW!!! that's SO AWESOME!! CONGRATS!!!! :D

so when are you going?? i'm gonna be done at iona on aug 11. any way we can meet up in scotland or in england???!?! i wanna see you at your university!!!!

7:32 PM

 
Blogger brad said...

Hey Jon, congratulations. This is extremely exciting news!

9:45 PM

 
Blogger ghislaine said...

i agree that you should follow your dreams! i think your dream might in fact be God's dream ;). way to go jl!

10:42 PM

 
Blogger ghislaine said...

btw, did i mention how much i am going to miss you? well i will but you should go. will and i have decided we will visit you when you're in scotland.

10:42 PM

 
Blogger sal said...

scotland scotland! i think you may just find your tartan there... the lo clan. congrats! xx

2:50 AM

 
Blogger Derek Brown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Derek Brown said...

This is no small accomplishment, well done Jon! My envy overflows at your prospective experience. Thanks for chiming in on my blog.

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Pinkling said...

through internet procrastination, i came across your blog via aaron's. (and people poohpooh procrastination.) Kudos for your nifty blog and your acceptance!

10:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home